How Do I Apply for Agency Name Approval?
All resident and non-resident insurance agencies using a business name or DBA that includes one of the following restricted words must obtain a Name Approval Acceptance: Assurance, Annuity, Benefit, Discount, Fidelity, Guaranty, Health, Insurance, Indemnity, Life, Medical, Manager, Pharmacy, Reciprocal, Reassurance, Reinsurance, Settlement, Syndicate, Surety, Sharing, and Viatical.
If the name of your agency includes one of these words, an insurance license will not be issued until a Name Approval Acceptance Letter has been issued by the Office of Insurance’s Insurance Financial Oversight Division. Additionally, if you are required to register with the Georgia Secretary of State’s Office, they will deny your request to form a domestic company in Georgia or to register as a foreign corporation doing business in Georgia until you have been issued a Name Approval Acceptance Letter.
To obtain a replacement Name Approval Letter for a lost or misplaced letter, please contact [email protected] and provide the name of the Agency, the approximate request timeframe and a contact name and phone number. If we experience issues finding the letter, we will contact you for more information. We also recommend checking your spam folders in case the email providing the letter is not received in your inbox.
Make Sure You’re Considered an Insurance Agency
An insurance agency, also known as a business entity insurance producer, is a business entity that represents one or more insurers and is engaged in the business of selling, soliciting, or negotiating insurance. Retail vendors of portable electronics, self-storage providers, and rental companies are also considered types of agencies. If you are applying for, or already have, an agency license, you are considered an insurance agency for licensing and name approval purposes.
Gather What You'll Need
Proposed entity name – Provide the entity’s exact legal name and the DBA or trade name, if applicable, in the following format: John Doe Company, Inc. dba JD Company.
- Identification type – This will be either EIN/FEIN or ORGID. If the system does not accept your provided ID numbers, select Not Provided to continue.
- Your contact information – First and last name, phone number, email address, and business address.
- $50 application fee + $5 processing fee – The fee for name approval applications is $50 plus a $5 processing fee. ( issued by the Georgia Department of Insurance on June 2, 2020, details the processing fee.)
Complete and Submit Your Name Approval Application Online
The process varies slightly depending on whether you are applying for a name for the first time or changing the name of your licensed agency.
- Go to the Online Name Approval Application.
- Fill out all required fields on the application.
- Complete the Payment Information to pay by credit card or ACH.
- Click on Submit at the lower right of the screen.
- After you submit your online application, you will receive an email notifying you that the application has been received by the Division. This email will include a link to a page that will let you know the status of your application. You may return to this page using the link at any time during the name approval application review process.
- If your name is approved, you will receive an email with a Name Approval Acceptance Letter attached. Please keep a copy of this letter for your records. Be sure to check your spam folders in case the email is not directed to your Inbox. If applicable, this letter should be submitted to the Georgia Secretary of State’s Office with your formation documents or your application to do business as a foreign entity in the state of Georgia. If you are unsure whether you need to file with the Georgia Secretary of State (SOS), you should review the requirements on the SOS website.
- If you are applying for a new insurance agency, this letter should be uploaded as part of the online application process in Sircon or NIPR. After allowing time for processing, if you have any questions, please contact our back office processor, Pearson VUE, at 1-800-274-8969, for assistance
- If you are changing the name of your licensed agency, you'll also need to do the following.
- Download and complete the Name Change Form - GID-390-AL.
- Write a check or money order for $25 per license type plus $5 processing fee.
- Send the completed form, the Name Approval Acceptance Letter, any other supporting documents if required and payment to the addresses provided on the form. If you send this form and payment to our office address, you are delaying the process. These forms and payments must be sent to the lockbox addresses. If we receive these at our office, we send these to the lockbox addresses which adds time to processing.
- After allowing time for mailing and processing, if you have any questions, please contact our back office processor, Pearson VUE, at 1-800-274-8969, for assistance.
- If your proposed agency name is not available for use in Georgia, you will receive an email attaching a Name Approval Rejection Letter. The email will include instructions regarding who to contact in order to discuss your options for a revised agency name. Do not file a second online name approval application with a new proposed name if you receive a Name Approval Rejection Letter. Please contact the individual mentioned in the email to assist you to find a name that will be approved.