Pay online via credit card
After you complete and submit your online name approval application, you’ll automatically be sent to an invoice page where you’ll have the option to pay online by credit card. If you pay online, you will be charged a 2.5% service fee. Credit card payments will be processed within 24 hours.
Pay by mail via check
Applicants who wish to pay by check will need to do so after completing the Online Name Approval Application. Once you complete the application and click on the "Submit" button, you'll be taken to directly to the invoice page for payment. Print out the invoice screen and send the check or money order with a copy (not the original) of the printout to one of the addresses listed on the screen; please note, your name approval application will not be processed until all filing fees are processed.
How Do I Apply for Agency Name Approval?
All resident and non-resident insurance agencies using a business name or DBA that includes one of the following restricted words must obtain a Name Approval Acceptance: Assurance, Annuity, Benefit, Discount, Fidelity, Guaranty, Health, Insurance, Indemnity, Life, Medical, Manager, Pharmacy, Reciprocal, Reassurance, Reinsurance, Settlement, Syndicate, Surety, Sharing, and Viatical.
If the name of your agency includes one of these words, an insurance license will not be issued until a Name Approval Acceptance Letter has been issued by the Office of Insurance’s Limited-Risk Entities Division. Additionally, if you are required to register with the Georgia Secretary of State’s Office, they will deny your request to form a domestic company in Georgia or to register as a foreign corporation doing business in Georgia until you have been issued a Name Approval Acceptance Letter.
Make Sure You’re Considered an Insurance Agency
An insurance agency, also known as a business entity insurance producer, is a business entity that represents one or more insurers and is engaged in the business of selling, soliciting, or negotiating insurance. Retail vendors of portable electronics, self-storage providers, and rental companies are also considered types of agencies. If you are applying for, or already have, an agency license, you are considered an insurance agency for licensing and name approval purposes.
Gather What You'll Need
Proposed entity name – Provide the entity’s exact legal name and the DBA or trade name, if applicable, in the following format: John Doe Company, Inc. dba JD Company.
- Identification type – This will be either EIN/FEIN or ORGID.
- Your contact information – First and last name, phone number, email address, and business address.
- $50 application fee + $5 processing fee – The fee for name approval applications is $50. And, per issued by the Georgia Department of Insurance on June 2, 2020, the fee for processing your application is $5. You can combine these sums in your payment for a total filing fee of $55.
A way to pay your $55 filing fee – The Division must receive your filing fee prior to processing your application. You have two options for paying this fee.Ways to pay filing fee
Complete and Submit Your Name Approval Application Online
The process varies slightly depending on whether you are applying for a name for the first time or changing the name of your licensed agency.Completing the Name Approval Application
- After you submit your online application, you will receive an email notifying you that the application has been received by the Division. This email will include a link to a page that will let you know the status of your application. You may return to this page using the link at any time during the name approval application review process.
- If your name is approved, you will receive an email with a Name Approval Acceptance Letter attached. Please keep a copy of this letter for your records. If applicable, this letter should be submitted to the Georgia Secretary of State’s Office with your formation documents or your application to do business as a foreign entity in the state of Georgia. If you are unsure whether you need to file with the Georgia Secretary of State (SOS), you should review the requirements on the SOS website.
- If you are applying for a new insurance agency, this letter should be uploaded as part of the online application process in Sircon or NIPR.
- If you are changing the name of your licensed agency, you'll also need to do the following.
- Download and complete the Name Change Form - GID-390-AL.
- Write a check or money order for $25 per license type plus $5 processing fee.
- Send the completed form, the Name Approval Acceptance Letter, any other supporting documents if required and payment to the addresses provided on the form.
- If your proposed agency name is not available for use in Georgia, you will receive an email attaching a Name Approval Rejection Letter. The email will include instructions regarding who to contact in order to discuss your options for a revised agency name. Do not file a second online name approval application with a new proposed name if you receive a Name Approval Rejection Letter. The individual you will be asked to contact will be happy to work with you to come up with a name that will be approved.