In October 2013, the Federal Patient Protection Care Act created health insurance advisors called Navigators, Certified Application Counselors, and In-Person Assisters to help consumers, small businesses, and their employees as they look for health coverage options through the Marketplace. Under HB 198, which was passed into law passed by the Georgia State Legislature in 2013, these health insurance advisors are required to obtain a license from the Georgia Department of Insurance before operating.
The functions of a health insurance advisor may vary slightly under federal law, however only one license must be obtain from the Department of Insurance, which will be deemed as a Navigator. Additionally, all health insurance advisors must also obtain federal Navigator certification through the federally-created insurance exchange.
To renew your Navigator license, renew online at Sircon.
Licensure Requirements for Navigators
- Complete 10 hours of prelicensing training from a state approved course provider and satisfy all federal training requirements.
- Pass the Navigator examination.
Register for an examination online via Pearson VUE.
- Complete the Citizenship Affidavit to upload with your application.
- Payment of $55.
- Apply online at Sircon.
- Submit electronic fingerprints.
- Information about obtaining Federal Training to Become a Navigator
- regarding Obtaining State Licensure before Beginning Operations
- Resources for Agents and Brokers in the Health Insurance Marketplace
- Georgia Insurance Rules and Regulations