In October 2013, the Federal Patient Protection Care Act created health insurance advisors called Navigators, Certified Application Counselors, and In-Person Assisters to help consumers, small businesses, and their employees as they look for health coverage options through the Marketplace. Under HB 198, which was passed into law passed by the Georgia State Legislature in 2013, these health insurance advisors are required to obtain a license from the Georgia Department of Insurance before operating.
The functions of a health insurance advisor may vary slightly under federal law, however only one license must be obtain from the Department of Insurance, which will be deemed as a Navigator. Additionally, all health insurance advisors must also obtain federal Navigator certification through the federally-created insurance exchange.
You are eligible to apply for online renewal of your license 60 days prior to expiration date.
- Visit the Sircon
- Click on the “Renew or Reinstate a License” button
- Follow the prompts to complete the process
- Uploads of required documents must be completed for the approval of your renewal:
- Upload the CMS Agreement for your sponsoring entity
- Upload a Citizen Affidavit with verifiable ID, if required
Licensure Requirements for Navigators
- Complete 10 hours of prelicensing training from a state approved course provider and satisfy all federal training requirements.
- Pass the Navigator examination.
Register for an examination online via Pearson VUE.
- Complete the Citizenship Affidavit
- Payment of $55.
- Apply for your license online at Sircon
- Select "Apply for a New License" which will take you to the License Applications page
- Select "New Insurance License"
- Follow the step-by-step instructions
- Submit electronic fingerprints. You will not be able to register for your fingerprinting appointment until your application has been entered. This could take 10 to 14 days. Check Sircon on the status of your application. If you are not found in that system, your application has not been received for processing yet.
- Information about obtaining Federal Training to Become a Navigator
- regarding Obtaining State Licensure before Beginning Operations
- Resources for Agents and Brokers in the Health Insurance Marketplace
- Georgia Insurance Rules and Regulations