How Do I Apply for Company Name Approval?
All resident and non-resident insurance carriers must obtain a Name Approval Acceptance Letter from the Department for their legal names and dba names (if applicable). Entities may only use one dba name, which must be registered with the Superior Court Clerk’s office in the county in which the entity is located or primarily doing business.
Make Sure You’re Considered an Insurance Carrier
An insurance carrier, also known as an insurance company or insurer, is any business entity engaged as indemnitor, surety, or contractor who issues insurance, annuity or endowment contracts, subscriber certificates, or other contract of insurance by whatever name called. Hospital service non-profit corporations, non-profit medical service corporations, burial associations, health care plans and health maintenance organizations are also considered insurance carriers.
Gather What You'll Need
- Proposed entity name – Provide the entity’s exact legal name and the DBA or trade name, if applicable, in the following format: John Doe Company, Inc. dba JD Company.
- Identification type – This will be either EIN/FEIN or ORGID.
- Your contact information – First and last name, phone number, email address, and business address.
- $50 application fee + $5 processing fee – The fee for name approval applications is $50. And, per issued by the Georgia Department of Insurance on June 2, 2020, the fee for processing your application is $5. You can combine these sums in your payment for a total filing fee of $55.
- A way to pay your $55 filing fee – The Division must receive your filing fee prior to processing your application. You have two options for paying this fee.
Complete and Submit Your Name Approval Application Online
- Go to the Online Name Approval Application.
- Fill out all required fields on the application.
- Click on the “Submit” button at the bottom of the page; this will take you directly to the invoice page for payment.
- If you have chosen to pay your $55 filing fee online, then follow the instructions for paying by credit card; please note, (1) there is a 2.5% processing fee for credit card payments and (2) your name approval application will not be processed until all filing fees are processed.
- If you have chosen to pay by check, print out the invoice screen and send the check with a copy (not the original) of the printout to one of the addresses listed on the screen; please note, your name approval application will not be processed until all filing fees are processed.
- After you submit your online application, you will receive an email notifying you that the application has been received by the Division. This email will include a link to a page that will let you know the status of your application. You may return to this page using the link at any time during the name approval application review process.
- If your name is approved, you will receive an email with a Name Approval Acceptance Letter attached. Please keep a copy of this letter for your records and submit a copy with your application for a Certificate of Authority.
- If your proposed agency name is not available for use in Georgia, you will receive an email attaching a Name Approval Rejection Letter. The email will include instructions regarding who to contact in order to discuss your options for a revised entity name. Do not file a second online name approval application with a new proposed name if you receive a Name Approval Rejection Letter. The individual you will be asked to contact will be happy to work with you to come up with a name that will be approved.